Distributed Teams: Wi-Fi Orchestra

Hola! Very good morning folks! I am having my second coffee of this lovely and cold day in London!

I like watching BBC News on Sundays while I am checking out how my beloved football club performed the day before in "La Liga". Malaga FC won yesterday. These are real good news to start off the day. It is also sad that I have no other option to follow my team up remotely. Sign of the times, I guess.

Well, suddenly the BBC presenter introduced us 'Wi-Fi Orchestra'. This is basically a live music experiment with 11 people performing at the same time music on 9 different subway stations in NYC (tube if you live in London) thanks to the free Wi-Fi (and Skype). All of them conducted by a director called Ljova.

Maybe this is a campaign organised by Skype to sell us the advantages of using Skype as a tool to collaborate remotely. In any case, this is a real demonstration of a good cooperation, an excellent level of communication and a big understanding on where are the benefits of internet and a brand new example of collaborative mechanisms.

I have to say that I| am really fascinated by the collaborative economy and their principles. We have so many resources on our planet why don't we share them? Is Internet the key platform to make it real? Are we abusing of them?

However, it is also interesting observing how all those musicians manage to become a real-distributed team of players. On Scrum, we have heard many times that "teams work better if they are all co-located". I would rather say, it is just easier than trying it distributed. We do not have as much informal/oral conversations than in a distributed team. But what about... Google-Hangout? Chats? Remote whiteboards? Remote tools? Remote pair-programming sharing screens? Promote the exchange of people visiting teams? I think many of these issues can be overcome with a proper patience and constancy. In my opinion, we need to see what are the real gaps and find out how we can approach them.

Can we transform tools such as "having a coffee with my partner" by "using a Jabber chat to explain my thoughts about the last results of Euroleague basketball"? "Having a coffee" implies being relaxed, informal chats, increase our trust, friendship. Is that the same than the latter? Should we emphasize in trying to resolve the coffee/Euroleague basketball dilemma?

How do you think teams will work in the next 20 years?

Sign of the times again, I guess.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whiteboards (love them!)

You and I

McDonald's as a guideline